Books published during 2012 on the subject of British and Irish stately homes
(in reverse publishing date order):
Beyond Downton Abbey, Vol 2: A guide to great houses by Deb & David White (22 Dec).
Hudson’s Historic Houses & Gardens 2013, 26th edition, by Hudson’s Media (10 Dec).
Tyntesfield in WWII by Michael Boyce, on NT‘s Tyntesfield house (27 Nov).
The M Room: Secret Listeners who Bugged the Nazis by H. Fry on Trent Park (20 Nov).
The Edwardian Country House by Clive Aslet, 2nd edition of 1982 (15 Nov).
Woolwich, Survey of London, Volume 48, by Andrew Saint & Peter Guillery (13 Nov).
John Nash: Architect of the Picturesque by Geoffrey Tyack (11 Nov).
The Scottish Country House by James Knox & James Fennell (5 Nov).
The Secret Rooms: A True Gothic Mystery by Catherine Bailey, on Belvoir Castle (1 Nov).
The Pleasure Grounds of Holland House by Sally Miller, about Holland House (17 Oct).
Heritage at Risk Register 2012
by English Heritage
An annual publication, one booklet for each of England’s 9 regions (plus Summaries and a National Summary). Free pdf file downloads. Future plans to include Grade II listed buildings. The London List 2011 giving all newly listed sites in London (11 Oct).
Great Houses of London
by James Stourton, photographs by Fritz von der Schulenburg
Profiles 41 houses exant today. For demolished houses see The Great Houses of London (2001) and Private Palaces (1989).
Hardcover, RRP £40, Frances Lincoln, 352 pages,
ISBN 0711233667, 978-0711233669 (4 Oct).
The Life of the House: How Rooms Evolve by Henrietta Spencer-Churchill (2 Oct).
Luggala Days: The Story of a Guinness House by Robert O’Byrne (1 Oct)
Ayrshire and Arran by Close & Riches, Pevsner Guides, Buildings of Scotland (1 Oct).
Ravenscliffe by Jane Sanderson, fictional novel with Longleat on the cover (27 Sep).
Abandoned Mansions of Ireland II by Tarquin Blake, Vol I in 2010 (21 Sep).
Irish Country Houses: A Chronicle of Change by David Hicks (17 Sep).
The Children of Castletown House by Sarah Connolly Carew MacPherson (15 Sep).
Scotland’s Lost Gardens: From the Garden of Eden to the Stewart Palaces by Marilyn Brown (15 Sep).
The Chronicles of Downton Abbey (Official Series 3 TV tie-in) by Jessica Fellowes (13 Sep).
Clanricard’s Castle: Portumna House, Co. Galway edited by Jane Fenlon (31 Aug).
Building England: A History of English Architecture by Simon Thurley (30 Aug).
Jordan’s Guide to British Castles and Fortifications by Owen Jordan (31 Jul).
Follies by Gwyn Headley, National Trust Books (19 Jul).
Country House Life: A Century in Photographs, by E Drury & F Scoones, NT (5 Jul).
The Elizabethan Garden at Kenilworth by Anna Keay & John Watkins (30 Jun).
Ashenden by Elizabeth Wilhide, fiction based on Basildon Park, FT review (28 Jun).
A Time to Plant: Life and Gardening at Holker by Hugh Cavendish (14 Jun).
Herefordshire by Alan Brooks, Pevsner Guides, Buildings of England (12 Jun).
The Home of the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland
by James McDonald
about Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, England,
Hardcover, RRP £30, Frances Lincoln, 240 pages,
ISBN 0711232377, 978-0711232372 (7 June).
The Architecture of Sharpe, Paley and Austin by Geoff Brandwood, English Heritage, possibly only a small section on their country houses (6 Jun).
Dare to Care: Buildings at Risk 2012-13 by SAVE Britain’s Heritage, 23rd edition (1 June).
James Wyatt: Architect to George III
by John Martin Robinson
A follow-up to The Wyatts (1979) on James Wyatt,
Hardcover, RRP £50, Yale University Press, 400 pages,
ISBN 0300176902, 978-0300176902 (21 May).
Sir Edwin Lutyens: Designing in the English Tradition by E Wilhide, 2nd ed (16 May).
English Country House Explained by Trevor Yorke, England’s Living History (14 May).
Historic Gardens of Herefordshire by Timothy Mowl & Jane Bradney, HGE (7 May).
Queen Mary’s Dolls’ House: Official Souvenir Guide by J M Robinson, rev of 2006 (4 May).
The Grand Designer: Third Marquess of Bute by Rosemary Hannah, Birlinn (1 May).
Dundee and Angus by John Gifford, Pevsner Guides, Buildings of Scotland (20 Apr).
To Marry an English Lord by Carol McD Wallace & Gail MacColl (13 Apr).
by Twigs Way
Biography of garden designer Gertrude Jekyll (1843-1932)
Paperback, RRP £7, Shire Publications, 56 pages,
ISBN 0747810907, 978-0747810902 (10 Apr).
Kitchen Garden Estate
Self-sufficiency Inspired by Country Estates of the Past
by Helene Gammack (NT Gardens & Parks Research Assistant)
Hardcover, RRP £25, National Trust / Anova Books, 192 pages,
ISBN 1907892125, 978-1907892127 (4 April).
Ancestral Houses: the Lost Mansions of Wales by Damian Walford Davies, et al (31 Mar).
The Families of Holland House by Carolyn Starren, about Holland House (30 Mar).
Beyond Downton Abbey, Volume 1 by Deb Hosey White and David S White (25 Mar).
The Gentlemen’s Clubs of London by Anthony Lejeune (15 Mar).
The Irish Country House by Knight of Glin & James Peill, gift edition of 2010 edn (1 Mar).
Felling the Ancient Oaks
How England Lost its Great Country Estates
by John Martin Robinson
Hardcover, RRP £30, Aurum Press, 192 pages,
ISBN 1845136705, 978-1845136703 (1 Feb).
Petworth: The People and the Place by Christopher Rowell, NT via Scala pg 5 (1 Feb).
Edwin Lutyens Country Houses, From the Archives of Country Life by Gavin Stamp, paperback reprint of 2001 hardback edition (1 Feb).
National Trust Handbook 2012 Edited by Lucy Peel (7 Jan).
- Follies of Scotland by Headley & Meulenkamp, Heritage Ebook county series (2012).
- Follies of Wales by Headley & Meulenkamp, Heritage Ebook county series (2012).
- First Woman Architect (Lady Elizabeth Wilbraham) by John Millar (2012).
- Winifred, Countess of Dundonald of Gwrych Castle, a biography by Mark Baker (2012)
anyone with information on her/family not in the 2003 etc books please contact Mark.
- Pevsner Architectural Guides (for WIP, click on Newly Published) (throughout 2012).
- The New English Country House by Neil Guy, rev’n of 2003 exhibition (maybe 2012).
- Dorset Country Houses: Volume Two by Michael Hill, & Vol One from 2008 (Jan 2013).
- National Trust Handbook 2013, members guidebook (7 Jan 2013).
- Mavisbank: Repeats its Love By Peter J. Gordon, about Mavisbank, Chapter 1 (3 Feb).
- William Burges and the High Victorian Dream by J. Mordaunt Crook, rev (7 Feb).
- Heritage Works, 2nd edition, by English Heritage, et al, 1st edition 2006 (7 Feb).
- Twentieth Century Castles in Britain by Amicia de Moubray (7 Mar).
- Romantic Irish Homes by Robert O’Byrne, paperback edition of 2009, CICO (14 Mar).
- Servants: A Downstairs View of Twentieth-century Britain by L. Lethbridge (14 Mar).
- Nicky Haslam’s Folly De Grandeur by Nicky Haslam, on NT hunting lodge (19 Mar).
- Voices from the Great Houses of Cork and Kerry by Jane O’Keeffe (25 Mar).
- Gertrude Jekyll: Her Art Restored at Upton Grey by R. Wallinger (27 Mar).
- Chastleton House by Kathryn Ferry, NT guidebook, revising 1997 edition (9 Apr).
- South Ulster by Kevin Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland, Pevsner Guides (12 Apr).
- Ham House: Four Hundred Years of Collecting and Patronage by C. Rowell (30 Apr).
- Historic Gardens of Cambridgeshire by Timothy Mowl, HGE series (2 May).
- The Devonshires: The Story of a Family and a Nation by Roy Hattersley (9 May).
- Houses of the National Trust by Lydia Greeves, revising 2008 edition (16 May).
- Men from the Ministry: How Britain Saved Its Heritage by Simon Thurley (31 May).
- Boconnoc: A Medieval & Georgian family house by Stephen Tyrrell (Spring 2013).
- Castles of Scotland by Martin Coventry, 5th edn, 4th edn was in 2006 (31 May).
- Survey of London, Battersea, Volumes 49 & 50, Yale University Press (Dec 2013).
- Early Decorative Plasterwork of Cornwall 1550-1670 by Stephen Tyrrell (late 2013).