Books published during 2012 on the subject of British and Irish stately homes
(in reverse publishing date order):
Beyond Downton Abbey, Vol 2: A guide to great houses by Deb & David White (22 Dec).
Heritage at Risk Register 2012
by English Heritage
An annual publication, one booklet for each of England’s 9 regions (plus Summaries and a National Summary). Free pdf file downloads. Future plans to include Grade II listed buildings. The London List 2011 giving all newly listed sites in London (11 Oct).
Great Houses of London
by James Stourton, photographs by Fritz von der Schulenburg
Profiles 41 houses exant today. For demolished houses see The Great Houses of London (2001) and Private Palaces (1989).
Hardcover, RRP £40, Frances Lincoln, 352 pages,
ISBN 0711233667, 978-0711233669 (4 Oct).
Scotland’s Lost Gardens: From the Garden of Eden to the Stewart Palaces by Marilyn Brown (15 Sep).
Jordan’s Guide to British Castles and Fortifications by Owen Jordan (31 Jul).
Follies by Gwyn Headley, National Trust Books (19 Jul).
Country House Life: A Century in Photographs, by E Drury & F Scoones, NT (5 Jul).
The Home of the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland
by James McDonald
about Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, England,
Hardcover, RRP £30, Frances Lincoln, 240 pages,
ISBN 0711232377, 978-0711232372 (7 June).
Beyond Downton Abbey, Volume 1 by Deb Hosey White and David S White (25 Mar).
National Trust Handbook 2012 Edited by Lucy Peel (7 Jan).
- Follies of Scotland by Headley & Meulenkamp, Heritage Ebook county series (2012).
- Follies of Wales by Headley & Meulenkamp, Heritage Ebook county series (2012).
- First Woman Architect (Lady Elizabeth Wilbraham) by John Millar (2012).
- Winifred, Countess of Dundonald of Gwrych Castle, a biography by Mark Baker (2012)
anyone with information on her/family not in the 2003 etc books please contact Mark.
- Pevsner Architectural Guides (for WIP, click on Newly Published) (throughout 2012).
- The New English Country House by Neil Guy, rev’n of 2003 exhibition (maybe 2012).
- 2013 –
- Dorset Country Houses: Volume Two by Michael Hill, & Vol One from 2008 (Jan).
- National Trust Handbook 2013, members guidebook (7 Jan).
- Mavisbank: Repeats its Love By Peter J. Gordon, about Mavisbank, Chapter 1 (3 Feb).
- William Burges and the High Victorian Dream by J. Mordaunt Crook, rev (7 Feb).
- Heritage Works, 2nd edition, by English Heritage, et al, 1st edition 2006 (7 Feb).
- The Art of Classical Details by Phillip Dodd, incl Henbury Hall & Ferne Park (27 Feb).
- Twentieth Century Castles in Britain by Amicia de Moubray (7 Mar).
- Romantic Irish Homes by Robert O’Byrne, paperback edition of 2009, CICO (14 Mar).
- Servants: A Downstairs View of Twentieth-century Britain by L. Lethbridge (14 Mar).
- Nicky Haslam’s Folly De Grandeur by Nicky Haslam, on NT hunting lodge (19 Mar).
- Voices from the Great Houses of Cork and Kerry by Jane O’Keeffe (25 Mar).
- Gertrude Jekyll: Her Art Restored at Upton Grey by R. Wallinger (27 Mar).
- Chastleton House by Kathryn Ferry, NT guidebook, revising 1997 edition (9 Apr).
- South Ulster by Kevin Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland, Pevsner Guides (12 Apr).
- Historic Gardens of Cambridgeshire by Timothy Mowl, HGE series (2 May).
- The Devonshires: The Story of a Family and a Nation by Roy Hattersley (9 May).
- Men from the Ministry: How Britain Saved Its Heritage by Simon Thurley (14 May).
- Sussex: East with Brighton and Hove by Nicholas Antram, Buildings of Eng (14 May).
- Houses of the National Trust by Lydia Greeves, revising 2008 edition (16 May).
- Houghton Revisited: The Walpole Masterpieces from Catherine the Great’s Hermitage by Thierry Morel & Andrew Moore, for exhibition at Houghton Hall (28 May).
- Burnt Norton by Caroline Sandon, Countess of Harrowby, fiction about home (1 Jun).
- Scotland’s Best Castles and Stately Homes by Martin Coventry (15 Jun).
- Ham House: Four Hundred Years of Collecting and Patronage by C. Rowell (27 Jun).
- Further Recollections of a Country Mansion by Terry Roberts, Guys Cliffe (30 Jun).
- The Grand Designer: Third Marquess of Bute by R Hannah, p/b, h/c May 2012 (4 Jul).
- Slavery and the British Country House by Dresser & Hann, English Heritage (31 Jul).
- Treasures from Lord Fairhaven’s Library at Anglesey Abbey, NT, Scala Pub, (14 Aug).
- Northamptonshire by Pevsner & Bruce Bailey, 3rd edn, Buildings of England (3 Sep).
- William Kent: Designing Georgian Britain by Susan Weber (3 Sep).
- Lady Catherine and the Real Downton Abbey by The Countess Of Carnarvon (12 Sep).
- AA Hotel Guide 2014 by The AA, listing some stately home hotels, online (24 Sep).
- The Art of the Devon Garden by Todd Gary, Devon Gardens Trust 25th (26 Sep).
- The Last Knight: A Tribute to Desmond Fitzgerald, 29th Knight of Glin by Robert O’Byrne, about Desmond Fitzgerald, proceeds to Irish Georgian Society (30 Sep).
- An Exuberant Catalogue of Dreams: The Americans who Revived the Country House in Britain by Clive Aslet (17 Oct).
- The English Country House by James Peill, 10 houses still owned by family (21 Oct).
- The Lost World of Bletchley Park: The Illustrated History of the Wartime Codebreaking Centre by Sinclair McKay (24 Oct).
- Country House Camera by Christopher Simon Sykes, new edition, 1st 1980 (29 Oct).
- Powys by Robert Scourfield & Richard Haslam, 2nd edn, Buildings of Wales (1 Nov).
- Battersea, Volumes 49 & 50, Survey of London, Yale University Press (1 Nov).
- The Scottish Castle Restoration Debate 1990-2012 by Michael C. Davis (Nov).
- Castles of Scotland by Martin Coventry, 5th edn, 4th edn was in 2006 (30 Nov).
- Hudson’s Historic Houses & Gardens 2014, 27th edition, by Hudson’s Media (16 Dec).
- An Introduction to the Architectural Heritage of County Mayo, NIAH, online (16 Dec).
- B&B’s and Hotels 2014: The Official Tourist Board Guides by Hudsons, online (31 Dec).
- Boconnoc: A Medieval & Georgian family house by Stephen Tyrrell (Spring 2013).
- Early Decorative Plasterwork of Cornwall 1550-1670 by Stephen Tyrrell (late 2013).
- 2014 –
- Alec Cobbe: Designs for Historic Interiors by Julius Bryant, V&A, Cobbe (6 Jan).
- Invitation To View 2014 brochure: East Anglia & South West (Jan).
- Dumfries House: An Architectural History by Simon Green of RCAHMS (10 Feb).
- The Disinherited: A Story of Family, Love and Betrayal by Baron Sackville (24 Apr).
- Requisitioned: The British Country House in the Second World War by John Martin Robinson, press (1 May).
- Chinese Wallpaper in National Trust Houses by National Trust (May).
- A Life at Westport House: 50 Years A-Going by Marquess of Sligo (16 May).
- Cornwall by Peter Beacham & Nikolaus Pevsner, Buildings of England (16 May).
- The Decline and Fall of the Dukes of Leinster 1872-1948 by Terence Dooley (30 May).
- Wallpaper in Ireland 1700–1900 by David Skinner, launch, review (25 Jun).
- Scotland’s Castles: Rescued, Rebuilt and Reoccupied by Janet Brennan-Inglis (7 Jul).
- The Country House Cricketer by Pete Langman, 12 houses history (11 July).
- Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire and Peterborough by Charles O’Brien & Nikolaus Pevsner, 2nd edn, Buildings of England (2 Sep).
- Killers of the King: The Men Who Dared to Execute Charles I by Earl Spencer (11 Sep).
- The Drawing Room: English Country House Decoration by Jeremy Musson (16 Sep).
- Cambridgeshire by Simon Bradley & Nikolaus Pevsner, 3rd edn, Bldgs of Eng (3 Oct).
- Irish Country Houses: Portraits & Painters by David Hicks, 1st in 2012 (13 Oct).
- Houghton Hall: Portrait of an English House by David (Marquess of) Cholmondeley & Andrew Moore, accompanying USA touring exhibition from Houghton Hall (21 Oct).
- The Destruction of the Country House: 40 Years On by Marcus Binney & John Harris of SAVE Britain’s Heritage, also an exhibition and events (21 Oct).
- Heritage at Risk Register 2014 by English Heritage, + Summ, Natl, top 10 (23 Oct).
- The Kennedys of Stone Cross Mansion by Stuart Allison, Dec launch (Oct/Nov).
- Somerset: South & West by Julian Orbach & Nikolaus Pevsner, 2nd edn, BoE (7 Nov).
- A Place in the Country by Chris Steele-Perkins, photos of Holkham Hall (25 Nov).
- Fabulous Follies of Ireland by William Laffan & Nesta FitzGerald, review (4 Dec).
- Hudson’s Historic Houses & Gardens 2015, 28th edition, by Hudson’s Media ( Dec).
- Russborough: A Great Irish House, its Families and Collections by Kevin Mulligan & William Laffan, launch, launch, review, gallery (9 Dec).
- Heritage Houses of County Cork by Cork County Council (19 Dec).
- Abercorn: The Hamiltons of Barons Court by Dr William J Roulston, Ulster Historical Foundation (2014).
- 2015 –
- Irish Demesne Landscapes, 1660-1740 by Vandra Costello (12 Mar).
- Lost Mansions: Essays on the Destruction of the Country House ed by James Raven, 13 July 2013 Marks Hall conference papers (29 Apr).
- Aberdeenshire: North and Moray by David W. Walker & Matthew Woodworth (1 May).
- Renishaw Hall: The Story of the Sitwells by Desmond Seward, Renishaw (2 Jul).
- Holywells, Home of the Cobbolds by Clive Hodges, launch, images (7 Jul).
- A Royal Welcome by Anna Reynolds, Buckingham Palace exhibition cat (25 Jul).
- The Country House Ideal: Recent Work by ADAM Architecture, by J Musson (24 Sep).
- Aberdeenshire: South and Aberdeen by Sharples, Walker, Woodworth (3 Nov).
- Anarchist’s Guide to Historic House Museums [in USA] by Franklin D Vagnone (Exec Dir HHT-NYC) & Prof Deborah E Ryan (30 Nov).
- A Delicate Wildness: The Life and Loves of David Thomson, by Julian Vignoles (2015).
- Apethorpe edited by Kathryn A. Morrison (Historic England), Yale (8 Dec).
- 2016 –
- Houses: An Architectural Guide by Charles O’Brien, Yale Pevsner (17 Mar).
- Life in the Country House in Georgian Ireland by Patricia McCarthy, Yale (3 May).
- Great Houses, Modern Aristocrats by James Reginato, Rizzoli (4 Oct).
- Hardwick Hall: A Great Old Castle of Romance by David Adshead, David Taylor, Mark Purcell & Richard Wheeler, Yale (1 Nov).